writing on the edge

Art?
Monday, April 09, 2007


Oooh Goodie...it's Monday again.

I've discovered I like the goosefleshy feeling I get when I hit upon this weeks Sopic. I'm trying to find things that will make us talk, make us think, and make us argue with ourselves and/or each other. So, here we go :)

I've found the website of one "Mark Jenkins" an artist who delights in putting his creations in odd, and sometimes amusing spots. (Examples here, here, and here. Please note, clicking the links will open in new windows, so you won't lose our ever-so-helpful commentary) Also, I find myself compelled to add the 'phone' in the one link is made out of packing tape.

The two which particularly caught my eye are here and here.

Here's my first question:

Is this art? Or is this someone on a 'Candid Camera' campaign?

Okay, I admit to know exactly jack about art. I failed ceramics in school. Okay, I got a B, but I aced everything else, so it might has well have been an F (shut up, Jen).

In any case, I think these are funny. Especially the one with the head in the wall and the cone feet (you'll have to clicky on Dayna's linkies to know what I'm talking about). However, I don't think they're art. I mean, what's the message? What are we supposed to learn or take away form it? It's not meant to be beautiful like, say, the Mona Lisa. So...no beauty, no message...how could it be art?

Anyone else have a take on this?
-------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |