writing on the edge

The Forbidden Library
Monday, March 19, 2007

I was going to find a news article to deal with this week...and instead, found this:

The Forbidden Library Go ahead and click it--it'll open in a new window. Essentially, this is a list of banned and contested books.

I have to say, I've never really understood the idea of banning a book. The ideas contained within aren't just going to go away because the book isn't on the shelf anymore.

Wouldn't that be nice? Let's just take the book down, and pretend that the N word never existed. Let's pretend white people were never cruel, evil bastards to an entire other race of people. Yep. Taking Huck Finn off the shelves could rewrite history. (Whatever. Feel the sarcasm.)

It amazes me, some of the names on that list. Zilpha Keatley Snyder's The Egypt Game, which I devoured as a kid. (I've also bought about five copies--one for my sister, for my oldest son, and copies for me which have been loaned, borrowed and 'borrowed' by others.) John Bellairs, who still scares the crap out of me, and his books are for tweens. Roald Dahl is on there twice, once for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!

As a fantasy reader/writer, I need to point out how many of those books are argued about for encouraging belief in 'magic'. Because, yknow, believing in something otherworldly is a really stupid thing to do. (I'm behaving and not pointing out the underlying base of most religions. Really, I'm not.)

I have to say I love that the creator of this site includes links-to-buy for each of these books...but that may just be my morbid sense of things...(which I blame on reading books banned for their 'morbid themes'...at least three on that list ;) )


As someone who works as a librarian in my real life, I'm completely opposed to censorship when it comes to reading. Yeah, stick an AGE label on it if you don't want the little kids to read it, but DO NOT remove it from shelves. I always figured if you can start an argument, you must be doing something right. You hit a hot button, made people listen and take notice. made them THINK and talk about what they think.

Also, as someone with a history degree, let me tell you that even if you take it off the shelf, even IF you write about, say Christopher Columbus and paint him as a perfect little hero, it still doesn't make it so. People are nasty, evil, bad. And people are good, wonderful, and self-sacrificing. And these are all the same people. People are people, and books are just words...until you let them be something more.

My thought: let them be.



First off, I've never agreed with book banning. There are certain books that I don't feel are appropriate to be required reading for kids -- depending on age -- but I feel kids ought have free access to read them should they so desire.

I've had an unconventional experience, though. I was home-schooled and allowed full access to my parents' library. I grew up reading books with extremely controversial elements; for instance, Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality novels, which in addition to raising a lot of questions about religion, also contain a fair amount of graphic sex. Or Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels, where homosexuality and polyamory are considered "normal." Or Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde novels, which feature a Wiccan heroine....

You see my point.

I don't feel that I was "harmed" in any way by reading these books. If anything, they gave me a greater understanding of the outside world (in comparison with my extremely sheltered environment) and respect for different lifestyles and cultures.

I think it's foolish to try to get books banned because they either represent something in the past that was offensive, or because they don't coincide with your personal theology. For the first, sticking your head in the sand isn't going to erase the past. For the second, well, I'm pagan; somehow, I highly doubt that a conservative Christian's opinion of what's "appropriate" is going to coincide with mine. I wouldn't want my (theoretical) child subject to their definitions of propriety.

My opinionated 2c, as always. ;)



Okay, I'm not just hopping on the bandwagon here because it's after midnight and I should be asleep. Actually, I'm pretty darned coherent at the moment, so figured now was as good a time as any. So... Here's my two cents.

No, I do not approve of book banning. Yes, I do feel some material is appropriate or NOT appropriate for age groups. But here's where I get to go off... THAT'S THE PARENT'S RESPONSIBILITY.

Um... Hello? I have a 5 year-old son who can read every word I put on this screen. I have to be careful when I'm working or brainstorming that I don't let it get too brassy, steamy or graphic. Because I'm not ready for him to be reading it. I have that control. Someone decrying a book for "graphic language" and banning it is absurd! Who on this earth saw one thing wrong with the Narnia books? I mean, really. I read those so many times I wore out the spines. And I know I've had them since I was younger than 10.

Now, I'm not trying to say some puritan zealot hypocrit of literature watchdog-ism isn't going to come right back at me and say that it was inappropriate for me at that age. This is where I can stand. MY PARENTS GAVE ME THE RIGHT. No one else. There was nothing wrong with those particular books, and many others on that so-called banned list, then nor now that would keep me from letting my son read them if he was interested in them.

Libraries are for "public" education, "public" entertainment, "public" research. When books are banned, you take away the public aspect of all of that, and make it *that really bad word that America was soooo not founded on*. If you don't know it, go to the library and look it up! Oh, but you know what, someone probably banned that too.

Okay, I'm calming down here. I will say that most people have a wide and varied idea of what is "graphic" "gory" or "explicit". Books are written, abounding in variety, to suit anyone who cares to read. Sadly many don't. What's worse, people who are on the committees who do the banning, don't read widely, take on one opinion as the heresy of the day, and lump an entire generation, genre, or quality into the decision to ban.

I'm not agnostic, nor pagan, but I don't attend a church. I believe in god, his teachings, the commandments and heaven and hell. Should I demand all christian teachings be banned because I'm worried/afraid/conceited enough to believe that alone will ruin/sway/traumatize my child? Golly, what a power trip...

Labels:

-------------------------------------

11 Comments:

Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

I'll have to come back to this. It's too early for me yet to say something even remotely witty, sarcastic or facetious enough about the stupidity of banning some of those books, which, I too, have read MANY of them...

C.S. Lewis??? Fools.....

8:40 AM  
Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

Banning books. Yeah. 'Cuz it's worked so well so far. I haven't read, like, every book on that banned list. At all.

8:53 AM  
Blogger R.G. ALEXANDER said...

This enrages me. But its timeless. Book bannings and burnings in the name of doctrine or ignorance has been going on forever. Its not right that knowledge and history are lost because of insecurity and fear. So much of our past is a mystery due to the simple truth that knowledge is power-thinking and learning can lead to dangerous pasttimes-like disagreeing with the powers that be. Conform dont think. And certainly dont believe in anything other than what the popular masses tell you to-and certainly dont dream of other possibilities. It sounds pompous but I'm ticked-and the phrase ringing loudly in my ears is "What fools these mortals be" {sorry-:)I guess I feel strongly about this}

9:10 AM  
Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

Seriously, RG! Go get 'em. Banned books is a hot button issue for me too!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Reminds me of all the uproar over Harry Potter. Yeah, let's ban a book that got millions of kids away from TV and READING. That's logical.

Great post!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

Lillian: word.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Dayna_Hart said...

It really freaks me out to think that getting kids to imagine something beyond the ordinary is considered a bad thing. wtf?!

Yeah, let's not let them think for themselves or anything.

Although my parents really disagreed with a lot of what I read as a kid, they NEVER took my choice away from me, for which I'm eternally grateful.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

Really? My parents were just happy I could read.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

Totally agree Lillian and RG. I'm not a conformist in the lease. I follow until I need to get it done myself. :)

My parents were happy I was the kind to read. My older brother was a PITA with the law, and my younger brother started having seizures at the age of 11. The middle child took care of herself. She read.

I moved a lot, so not many friends. I use to walk across town (in Colorado) to go to the library at the age of 11, roughly 2 miles one way. My parents knew what I was doing, where I was going and when I'd be home.

I doubt a soul out there allows a child to walk that far or ride a bike in any city because no on really goes to the library anymore. And that's just sad.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Nonny Blackthorne said...

Dayna: My dad never really agreed with what I chose to read. He's of the opinion that fiction is escape from reality, and therefore "bad." (Because, don't you know, it can be taken to an extreme... like everything else in the world.) I also think he would've shit a brick if he knew some of the topics raised in the books I read.

Mom, on the other hand, never limited what I read. On more than one occasion, though, she mentioned not to tell my Dad I was reading it, or to tell him what the book was about. ^_^

12:28 AM  
Blogger Dayna_Hart said...

Nonny: I'm sure I've mentioned Dad enough that you won't be surprised to learn he was less than thrilled with the books I was reading. although he'd tell me they were utter crap (if asked) he was smart enough to not try to take them away.

Mom would read some of it with me...though she's never really LIKED fantasy, so a lot of my most favoritest books EVER..she'll never read. Fortunately, we agree on forensic thrillers, medical thrillers, and rom-suspense, so we've got common ground.

I think the hardest part for them with me reading was knowing I'd form my own opinions, and be loud enough to voice them, and not quite smart enough to know when it was appropriate to do so...

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |