writing on the edge

Where Have All The Long Books Gone?
Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Someone on my blog feed posted about a book they'd read recently and loved. I looked it up on Amazon and skimmed through the reviews, only to be very surprised by a comment someone left: "This dark and edgy superhero story was a long novel at 464 pages."

*blink*blink*

The novel in question is published as an urban fantasy. Traditionally, fantasy novels over the past couple decades have run about 500 pages in length; sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. But 460 pages is long? Huh?

I've been annoyed lately at the shortness of fantasy novels and paranormal romance. I don't always want a monster read, but a lot of the paranormal novels that run about 300 pages (or less) feel rushed and too short to me. I'm left wanting more. It's part of why I've been reading older historical romances and epic fantasies lately. It's especially annoying when the 300 page book is part of a series, and I have to wait 6-12 months to find out what happens next.

I think it's also part of why I adore J. R. Ward's novels so much. A lot of people complain about the subplots in her novels overwhelming the romance, but to me, it adds more "meat" to the story. And they're long. They're not books you sit down with and finish a couple hours later. (At least, not for me!)

I dunno. Sometimes, I'm in the mood for a short read, but it seems like almost everything that's published in urban fantasy and paranormal romance are 65-85k stories. I want more variety.

Anyone else frustrated by this?
-------------------------------------

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

I'm surprised at how short books are now. There are times I want a book I can get my teeth into and really enjoy. Like "Dune" by Frank Herbert. I still remember doing a book report on it and having someone say "You really read the whole thing?"
After James Mitchner's "Hawaii", "Dune" was a breeze. LOL.
I miss the epic fantasies that lasted for 500 pages.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Sela Carsen said...

I'm afraid I'm the opposite. I tend to get sucked into books and read through to the end, no matter how bored I am. So what happens when I get sucked into a 600 page novel? Torture!

I've learned to steer clear of a lot of hefty books unless I've got a stone-clad guarantee I'm going to love them.

That said, I love both JR Ward and CJ Cherryh.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Alan Morgan said...

They're not books you sit down with and finish a couple hours later. (At least, not for me!)

... I soooo go sucked into J. R. Ward's newest book, Lover Revealed. Could not put it down.

But maybe that's just me.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |