writing on the edge

Creativity vs. Editing
Monday, February 26, 2007



Here's a question for you. Does it take more energy to create something new or edit something you've already written? Is editing a creative "right brain" process or a "left brain" process?

I find that it's a more creative process to edit than I previously believed. I was naive enough to think editing was about "fixing my mistakes". Au Contrare. It is about making the book better. That means that, not only do I have to create new ideas and new twists, but I also have to do it within the framework of the story.
Some editors make suggestions. Some make corrections. Some are all about the story and some are all about the grammar. Most editors are a combination of all of that. Their creativity is just as valuable as ours in some ways. They influence the final product. A good one will take a writers talent to the next level without changing their voice.

I have been so lucky. All of the editors I've had for my releases have been patient, creative, patient, encouraging and patient. I consider that my editor, Diana Carlile at The Wild Rose Press has also helped me improve my talent.

Could I ever be an editor? NO WAY. They manage to combine that necessary "left brain" attention to detail with the creativity from the "right brain" to bring a book to it's best state. Then, there's that whole "patient" thing.

So, here's to all those editors out there. The ones that "get" someone's work and gets behind it. The ones that catch the same mistake over and over and over and over again until they want to strangle the author. Here's to the editors that balance creativity and structure.

A good editor is gold.
-------------------------------------

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

I can feel your pain a bit on this one. I'm struggling to 'fatten up' a book right now. And it's driving me crazy. Going back through... sigh. I love it when you find a great editor.

2:43 PM  
Blogger L. Rosario said...

Oh I totally agree! I've worked with Diana, and she is brilliantly patient!
*hug*

2:09 PM  
Blogger Sela Carsen said...

Amen, sister!

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |