writing on the edge

Usually I'm jealous
Thursday, January 25, 2007

Most authors I know have a File. If you're a writer, you'll know what I mean, and if you're a reader with an absolute fave-author, you've probably dreamt of it...A file of bits and pieces of the stories that didn't work at the time, or were headed nowhere...the detritus of a writer's mind.
(Often these lead to the release of posthumous work, when someone finds these nearly-finished pieces and polishes them up, or asks another writer to fill in the gaps. The Silmarillion, by Tolkien, for example)

Many writers I know have completed or near-completed works in their File. As in, "oh yeah, that contest is coming up. I have something in my File I could polish up and send in." Or..."oh, Dayna, you want a 10,000 word story by Monday for a special collection? Sure, I'm sure I can find something in the File that will work."

Normally, I hate people like this :) Our own Elisabeth Drake hears it on messenger--a lot--'I hate you and your 'stuff in mothballs'.' Because I don't have a File. At least, I didn't. And it was pretty depressing, really. I've known I wanted to be a writer since I was three years old...and I have no File!

Then yesterday it happened. I went poking at random .doc files on my computer, and pulled up ten or twelve abandoned projects. I went from no File to a fair-sized one, almost overnight.

Granted, the largest document only has about 2000 words. The smallest one 600. But it's a start. And reading through them, they may not have worked at the time I originally wrote them, but a few--I can do something with now.

S
o my question today is: If you could take pieces from your three favorite authors, what sort of story would you end up with?

I'll go first ;)

My fave authors are: Guy Gavriel Kaye, who writes historical fantasies, Charles DeLint, who writes urban fantasy mixed with folk legend, and there are a number of rom-susp authors, but I'll pick Kathy Reichs, who writes forensic-suspense. (the basis for the TV show Bones, but her books are so much better) So...my 'file puzzle' would result in a historical fantasy set in an ancient city where fairies lurk in the shadows, following a anthropologist of the time who's trying to solve mysteries. :)
Sound good? I think so, but I'm weird that way! So, what would yours look like?

-------------------------------------

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

Oh, mine would be weird too. My three favorite authors are Dorothy L. Sayers, Terry Brooks and Elizabeth Peters
So I'd have a snarky, emotional fantasy with magic and Egyption tombs.
Um, no.
LOL.

12:46 PM  
Blogger ivan said...

I am not a genre writer, but my three favourite authors are
Updike, Joyce Carol Oats and
John Champlin Gardner.
Don't know what I'd end up with, but I'd sure as hell respect it.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Dayna_Hart said...

ooh Updike is one I haven't read yet, but I'd like to.

And respect is good...you've got me thinking up another post :)

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |