writing on the edge

What Stress?
Monday, November 27, 2006

Let me preface this post with a disclaimer. I'm not whining. Okay, maybe a little bit, but sometimes whining is a necessary evil. I'm whining to you because I know you'll all understand.

After fourteen people had Thanksgiving in my home, I spent three days in Sacramento Christmas shopping and came home to a house torn apart by two children and a redneck and I was presented with extensive edits.

With a deadline of December fifteenth and my first release coming out December first, I'm beginning to wonder if my brain can handle the list of things I'm required to do.

I'm laughing right now because I'm the one who submitted two Christmas stories in the height of the holiday season. That means edits and family get togethers and shopping and promotion would all be happening at the same time. What the heck was I thinking?

I've decided to look at all of this as my Christmas present to me. After spending a lifetime "wishing" I could have a career in writing, I have it. It's my gift to me. When edits are hairy, or I struggle to find time to participate in all of the promotional opportunities, or I wonder if I'm going to lose my mind, I remind myself that I'm doing what I love.

Today, I'm remembering that my father spend his whole life dreaming of having what I'm beginning to have now. I talk to other authors. I spend time writing and I'm starting to have some success with it. He never did. He dreamed of being a published author, but never submitted his work.

Part of me feels guilty that I've been having success when I know other authors that have worked years to get published. Part of me wonders if I'll ever know what I'm doing.

Most of me is just grateful to have the chance to see my work published.

Here's my question to you. When the writing gets tough, how do you get going? What reminds you that it's all worth it?
-------------------------------------

1 Comments:

Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

I write now because I have to. So when the going gets tough I open up the file with my latest WIP and write. I don't do it for anyone else but me. Because I NEED it.

And I totally feel you on the gratitude front. I don't deserve it, but I'll take it and hope the Gods don't smite me for enjoying it.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |