writing on the edge

Promotions Part Deux
Monday, November 20, 2006

It's interesting that Diana was talking about promotions on Friday, since I've been thinking about this too.

It seems that I expend all creativity on writing and nothing else. Games for birthday parties? Forget it. I can't plan them. Pretty little eatables for the holidays? Detailed instructions needed from a magazine. Contests? Uh uh. I'm hopeless.

So, when it comes to promoting my books, I'm stumped for ideas. I know what I like, but I'm not good at coming up with the "right" way to get the word out about my stuff.

Luckily for me, I have several other authors that are brilliant at this stuff. I rely on them for so many things. You've all heard me rave about the help I get from others.

Publishers are also helpful in this area. Cobblestone and The Wild Rose Press know how to get their authors out there on Yahoo groups and chats. Participating in those has been fairly simple for me.

My question for you all is where do you get those ideas? Naturally reticent about my writing, I realize a significant change in attitude is necessary. Has anyone else struggled with this? If so, how did you get out there and do what needs to be done?
-------------------------------------

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Creative in writing but can't extend it out to other stuff...

Would it work if you wrote a story about a mother planning her kids birthday party? or a struggling marketing agent trying to make a name for themselves? Maybe if you build the world and develop the characters you can just steal the ideas???

What do you think?

5:46 PM  
Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

I struggle with this all the time. I do the loops, chats (java willing) and a few contests, but... It's just not easy.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |