writing on the edge

Suspense, action, or mystery?
Thursday, October 19, 2006

I had the ever-talented (and patient) Dayna Hart read over my work in progress Revenant. Now this story was originally intended to be a romantic suspense. I hit a few glitches and a big brick wall along the way, but for the most part it's done. Here's the fun part. Dayna gave me some feedback that said it wasn't so much suspense as action with some suspense because we know who the villain is right from the start.

Here's my question: is suspense only suspense when it's a mystery as well? Or is suspenseful action good enough to count? How many forms can the suspense take?

I ask these things not because I mind being action with some suspense (no problems as long as it's a good read, in my humble opinion.) but how flexible is the genre? Basically what makes a romantic suspense a romantic suspense?

How do you judge?
-------------------------------------

3 Comments:

Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

I would think it's pretty flexible. I know I've read stuff catergorized as romance and it had none. But if yours is a split, then take the predominant factor first. Action suspense sounds fine to me.

I might be too laid back though... :)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Dayna_Hart said...

Please keep in mind that it might just very well be Me having 'genre problems'. I've got no idea where one genre ends and another begins.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Lyric James said...

As long as the promise of danger on the horizon is there, I think you're fine. I think the villain should be hidden if you're writing a mystery. In a mystery I think the reader wants to figure out who done it along with the hero/heroine in the book.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |