writing on the edge

Joining The Ranks
Monday, October 16, 2006



When we began this adventure together, Dayna, Diana, Nonny and Crystal had to convince me that it was okay even though I was unpublished. I promised you that you would get to see the day I finally sold something.
Sure enough, I entered the "In The Garden" contest at The Wild Rose Press and came in first place in the Scarlet Rose miniature rose line. As well as adding a little bit more to those query letters, I also get to join several other great authors in an anthology to be published IN PRINT in Spring '07. Contracts and editing to follow.
So, as of this date, I have joined the rank of my fellow authors. The great thing is that one of the other winners is an author I love. I get to be in an anthology with Stacy Holmes. The only thing better would be getting published in an anthology with my fellow "Shadows of Passion" authors.
Needless to say, I'm doing a happy dance. The very first thing I did was tell Dayna Hart (we were instant messaging). Then, I woke Crystal Jordan up on her cell phone and bugged her. THEN, I called my best friend. I'm afraid my husband (who was working and couldn't take calls) didn't hear until that night.
I remember someone did a thread on Romance Divas "What's the first thing you do when you get the call?" Calling EVERYONE was not what I thought I would do.
Crystal was right. She said I would get a contract before the end of the year. I'm happy to join the ranks of the soon to be published authors.
So here's my question for you. Have you ever reacted to something important differently than you thought you would? Did you think you'd be better or worse at taking a rejection? Did you get excited or scared after "the call" or, in my case, "the email"?
-------------------------------------

3 Comments:

Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

I TOLD YOU SO. *ahem* 'Nuff said.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

Congratulations Jen! I knew you'd get published! :)

As for me, the rejections were, meh, okay, folder fodder. I still get them and I still put my butt on the line. Big whoop. It can either way on anything, any story, any idea. I refuse to let that knowledge get the better of me.

As for what I did, after I picked my jaw up off the floor and wiped the screen to make sure I wasn't hallucinating (My first was via email too) I called my hubby up to read the email also. To tell me I wasn't imagining it. I wanted to jump up and down and scream, but I just hung onto him in absolute stunned shock for a good ten minutes. I couldn't stop smiling long enough to think of a reply for several minutes. I honestly don't remember after that (It's a bit of a blur :D), but I think I called everyone I could at that hour and told them.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Alan Morgan said...

Congrats!

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |