writing on the edge

I'm burnt out on Serial Killers
Wednesday, October 25, 2006



Seriously, I've read so many books lately, some of them by great writers, but I'm a wee-bit tired of the whole 'serial killer' angle. I read two Kay Hooper and an Iris Johanssen back to back, and although I love both writers, the storylines--a serial killer on the rampage, mentally linked to a psychic who will use her powers to track him down--well, they got a little tired.

And I know there is a lot more romantic suspense out there.

I know there's forensic-rom-susp: Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs kind of have that market cornered, I think. (Kathy Reichs is most-famous now for the TV show "Bones" which is based off her character Temperance Brennan, who is modelled after Reichs herself)

There's action? rom-susp: Suzanne Brockamann is the best example of this: explosions, gunfire, and sparks fly.

There's paranormal rom-susp: Iris Johansenn, Kay Hooper, and I'm thinking Laurell K. Hamilton's books might count, as could Gena Showalter's 'Enslave me Sweetly'.

This made me realise there are sub-genres I've never heard of, let alone read. And even within these sub-genres (as loosely 'defined' as I have them) there are probably some great authors I've never read.

So my question for you, dear readers, is what is the elusive quality that makes it all Romantic Suspense? What other sub-sub-genres are there? And what authors should I be reading who haven't made it on this list?
-------------------------------------

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm burned out on them too. I'm finding myself looking at more romance these days.
I just always believe that suspense is ANY kind of "conflict" that isn't relationship oriented. Just an opinion.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

I'm a terrible voice of opinion here. I don't read drama, thrillers or deep suspense. Not prolifically enough to list writers by name, at least.

I do get tired of some plots repeating in different forms, but that happens, which is why I read as widely as I do.

I can guarantee I won't touch horror. Just can't do it...

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |