writing on the edge

How do I make it dark?
Wednesday, October 11, 2006


I'm trying to figure out Tone these days.

I read the book Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Leguin. I finished it, and then phoned the man who recommended it to me and reamed him out. "WHY did you want me to read that book?"

He chortled. (sidenote: men who actually chortle, outside of actors portraying comic book villains are rare. And to be avoided, especially when making book recommendations.)

When he finished chortling, he asked me what I didn't like about it.

I couldn't tell him. It was an interesting book. A neat book. Even (i'll admit it) a good book. But it left me feeling...like I'd curled into a warm, soft, but mildewy blanket. I got completely wrapped up in it, sure, but it left me feeling a little funky.

Why am I telling you this story? Because I want to know how to get that tone in my books. How can writers...well, DO that? Infuse a story with enough subliminal moodiness to make a reader feel something long after the book's been put down.

I was joking with Nonny earlier this week that I'm not sure I pull off 'dark' when writing. I don't even dress goth because I end up looking like some poor kid practicing for halloween. I have the clothes, the makeup, the jewellery (ooh gods the jewellery *drool*) But I'm just not 'dark'.

Aside from installing mood-lighting in the bookstores...how, please help me, do I make it dark?
-------------------------------------

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

I don't know, really. I have a voice and it is what it is. I don't really think about it. I do know that when I sit down to write "funny and light" I can't do it. I immediately add some dysfunctional family issue or dead bodies turn up.
*sigh* I'm not sure that "dark" is something you can make happen. For me, I have to realize that I write what I write. I can't be Nora or Stephen King or Jennifer Crusie.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

I think it does have something to do with a person's internal thoughts. I've read dark books, and know it isn't like turning a switch on or off to write them. Mine always "feel" fluffy, even when I'm trying for dark! EGADS! Yes, it's true.

Books that leave you with a feeling that is not what you were expecting when you are finished are rare, and it's definitely in the talent of the writer.

<<< Working on finding the hidden chest of gold to bribe for that talent.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |