writing on the edge

Chasing the Market
Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Recently, I've been seeing posts around the blogosphere that go something like this: "OMG! I just heard from [such-and-such person, conference, whatever] that editors/agents are full of paranormal romance subs and it's sooooo hard to break in now and the market's going to DIIIIIE!!!"

Okay, slight exaggeration. But not by much.

I've seen this attitude a lot over the years. Somebody says something--it might not even be right--that indicates a certain market is getting oversaturated, and writers go freaking out.

Then what do they do? Jump on the next Big Bandwagon, of course. *sighs*

Anytime there's a big hit, like erotic or paranormal romance, there's going to be a lot of crap put out because the publishers aren't getting enough submissions to fit the demand. Also, to my understanding, it isn't uncommon for editors or agents to suggest to an already published writer, "Hey, why don't you try your hand at this new thing?"

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I've read a fair amount of paranormals from former contemporary / romantic comedy / historical romance writers that feel like all they did was take a stock plot and stick fangs on their hero. I'm sorry, but that's not paranormal.

But that's another rant entirely.

The point is, once the "first wave" is past, you're going to have a lot of people looking at this new fad--whether it be paranormal or gods know what else--and thinking, "Hey, I'll write that. It sells."

Except that doesn't usually work out. If your heart isn't in it, most of the time, the reader can tell. If you're bandwagon-hopping, you're also not likely to finish the work by the time the next Big Thing hits.

I'd really like to tell some of these people to quit bemoaning the "death" of their chosen subgenre and shut up and write. Ultimately, if you're writing what you love, you're going to have a much better shot at publication than if you're constantly chasing the market. There is no "Magic Key" to publication, and I think some people really need to be smacked upside the head with a clue-by-four.

But that's my opinion. ;)

What do you all think about chasing the market?
-------------------------------------

4 Comments:

Blogger Dayna_Hart said...

heh. I always worry about this when it comes up. I write a littlebit of everything--and I love it. Granted, I think I'll always like fantasy-writing *best*, but I love trying other genres, writing whatever stories come to me...

But--I'm also of the generation that was/is told Fantasy is dying--people don't want it, won't read it, won't buy it--I've been resigned to the fact that I'll have to write in other genres.

Do I chase market-trends? No. Do I sometimes write story A instead of story B because it's more likely to sell--yes. But...I love both story A and B before I write them.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Nonny Blackthorne said...

That's bullshit about fantasy "dying." Who told you that? The genre is alive and well.

"Traditional" quest-based epic fantasies aren't doing well, no. (Mainly because the vast majority were rehashes of stuff that came before.) Right now, urban fantasy is hot, especially if it has strong romantic elements.

Speaking as a multi-genre writer myself, I do the same thing... if there's two WIPs that I'm equally interested in, I'll choose the one more likely to sell. That, IMO, isn't the same thing as writing, for example, inspirational romance when you have no interest in doing so just because it's selling. :P

5:02 PM  
Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

I don't write fast enought to chase a market. I've discovered my strengths and while I challenge myself, I don't write to the market. It changes with the phases of the moon.

And writing something just "because" when you're heart isn't it, can be felt in the story. I read on book that I couldn't reach the half way point because it was soooooo not to life. It was square peg character into the round hole scenario and it sucked.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Dayna_Hart said...

*stands corrected*

Thanks for the chat on this one, Nonny...I'll never be able to explain to anyone how my world's been tilted tonight, even you.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Shades

Diana Castilleja
Elisabeth Drake
Dayna Hart
Crystal Jordan
Jennifer McKenzie


Our Publishers

Cobblestone Press
Forbidden Publications
Freya's Bower
Liquid Silver
Samhain Publishing
The Wild Rose Press


Our Books













Archives




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger

| maystar designs |